On Twitter I read something that was staggering. It was about how many Southern Baptist shifted politically from 2008 until 2018. Its out of bounds with other denominations and it is staggering. This blog would like to ask, what happened? From 2008 until now, what took place that made the Southern Baptists far more political?
“Politics have no relation to morals.”
The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him.
Proverbs 23:24 ESV
Christian nationalist pastor Robert Jeffres
Earlier while working on a post about critical race theory I stumbled across something on Twitter that made my jaw drop. Its always been one of my concerns that evangelicalism is far too political. And then I saw the following tweet by Sarah Pulliam Bailey of The Washington Post.
When I saw how political the Southern Baptists have become since 2008 I was stunned. The graph above you can layer against Jerry Falwell Sr and the creation of the Moral Majority. Its been this long, gradual uptick and then in 2008 it goes straight north. What is is that resulted in Southern Baptists fearing President Obama? Did they just fear a black President is that what happened? That number of 71% and an increase of 21% is staggering. Not only that but if goes against the trends in other area of Christianity. So what does it mean?
- Is evangelicalism nothing but a front for political operations? That took off and as a result it has no substance or faith?
- Did the Southern Baptists become so involved in the culture wars that it consumed them?
- What if this brand of Republicanism is not the traditional GOP but rather nationalist populism? There is a major difference between the two.
- Does the high political numbers reflect the dying of Southern Baptists in the northern United States and the emergence of those in the American South?
- Does it mean that many Southern Baptists have become more influenced by Fox News and not from the Bible?
- Is it the false Christian persecution narrative being fed by the internet and partisan media?
- Are the Southern Baptists headed for extinction? Especially if they move in a direction that many parts of the country are not prepared to go?
There are many directions that this can go. But I would like to ask you what do you make of these statistics?