Jake told his story of his deconversion from Christianity into atheism on YouTube recently. Jake, who grew up in the Assemblies of God explained in a well done video why he moved on from religion. Its a story of honesty and integrity while facing the problems and contradictions of faith. For those who want to understand atheism better, this blog would encourage you to listen to Jake’s story.
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has every believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
“One would go mad if one took the Bible seriously; but to take it seriously one must be already mad.”
Picture taken at the 2016 Reason Rally in Washington, D.C.
In writing about the issues of modern evangelicalism atheism must be covered. The two go hand in hand as this blog often finds that evangelicalism has deep systemic problems. Last week while researching on YouTube I came across Jake’s video. Its his deconverison story and his path from the Assemblies of God into atheism. Some of the topics that are covered in his eleven minutes video are as follows.
- Problems of literal interpretation and evangelicals rejecting science.
- Church conflict and realizing that religion and faith does not make people better.
- His brother’s diagnosis with cancer inside fundamentalism.
- His mother’s embrace of alternative medical treatments.
- Acceptance of death as a part of life.
- Issues with the concept of faith and realizing he wanted to be driven more by facts.
- Religion is a system of fear and guilt to manipulate people.
This blog liked his last claim about how its okay to say “I don’t know” and how there is not an answer for everything. How often do evangelicals try and find an explanation for it? How often is the Bible used as a weapon and in ways that are toxic and don’t provide answers? Over the weekend this blog got up a post about evangelical culture and that looked at how white evangelicals are dishonest. The post looked at porn star Stormy Daniels and how she has far more character and integrity than many evangelicals. You can read that post in, “Why Porn Star Stormy Daniels Has More Character and Integrity Than White Evangelical Christians.” These are a couple of other posts Jake might enjoy reading and identifying with after his deconversion.
- “Grieving the Death of Evangelical Faith and Realizing Its Cost and How Much of Your Life Was Wasted.”
- ” How White Evangelical Christianity in the United States is American Carnage.”
- “Tweet of the Decade About White Evangelicals and Absolute Truth by a University of Oklahoma Professor.”
Jake this blog has deep respect and is proud of you. It takes courage to be honest and in your deconversion you have showed how you have more character and integrity than many white evangelicals. Why? Because you are driven by your desire to find the truth and are honest. That is to be respected and admired. This blog would encourage its readers to watch his story if you want to understand deconversion better.