On Twitter Carolyn McCully boasts of how Redeemer Arlington is doing church during the COVID-19 era. Her boasts are problematic in light of the unresolved spiritual abuse situation that has adversely affected my family. Either Carolyn is exhibiting cognitive dissonance or she doesn’t know her Bible. If so I can teach her a thing or two.
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference.”
“So if you are presenting a sacrifice[a] at the altar in the Temple and you suddenly remember that someone has something against you, 24 leave your sacrifice there at the altar. Go and be reconciled to that person. Then come and offer your sacrifice to God.
Matthew 5:23-24 NIV
Eric Simmons and Redeemer Arlington as a church plant
Today on Twitter Carolyn McCully boasted of how well her church is doing. She boasted of how strong they were holding up in the COVID-19 pandemic. In the process Carolyn addressed how her church added 22 members and conducted a day of fasting and prayer which you can read about right here. She also spoke about how they helped pay the rent for 29 families in the the Arlington, Virginia area and helping the homeless. You can see the tweet below.
Redeemer Arlington or Redeemer Church of Arlington appears to be a healthy church that takes faith seriously. However, here is the problem. Redeemer failed to deal with one of their members or even apologize for the pain that was caused my family. Redeemer’s talk of repentance is shallow in light of my spiritual abuse situation.
Abuse That Came From a Person in Leadership at Redeemer and Learning Why Rape and Sexual Assault is a Problem in the Military
This blog was triggered and grew out of an incident of spiritual abuse. This blog was triggered out of an abuse situation. His name is Andrew White and he was a small group leader discipled and led by Jordan Kauflin. Andrew tried to get me involved when I was in a faith crisis and we clashed and fought over the issues related to Sovereign Grace Ministries. Andrew in time triggered a false accusation that took aim at my name, ability to earn income and one that hurt my family. Watching an Air Force Officer abuse his authority stunned me and in time taught me why rape and sexual abuse is a problem in military. Andrew abused his rank and authority to pull off the false accusation. Despite an attorney explaining to me that I had a defamation of character lawsuit Andrew never did what needed to be done to resolve the conflict. Jordan let him go and let the conflict be unresolved. The situation dragged on and affected my Mom in a terminal illness. If you want to learn more about the situation you can do so in the following blog posts that deal with the situation.
- “How I Managed a False Accusation Given Birth to by a USAF Captain and Care Group Leader from Redeemer Arlington for 408 Days.”
- “Opportunities Lost when Andrew White, a Care Group Leader from Redeemer Arlington Refused to Reconcile in the 2013 to 2014 Time Frame.”
- “An Open Letter to Jordan Kauflin (Pastor at Redeemer Arlington).”
- “How Mistakes are Opportunities…Why Don’t Evangelical Christians Say they are Sorry? Why Don’t Evangelicals Repent and Own their Mistakes Today?“
- “How Healthy is Redeemer Arlington’s Culture? What About Other Former Sovereign Grace Ministries Churches? Should You Get Involved?“
- “Do Evangelical Christians Have a Flawed Understanding of What Peace Is?“
- “An Open Letter to Andrew White.”
- “Is Eric Simmons’ Redeemer Arlington a Rape Culture Like the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs?“
- “Was Redeemer Arlington Removed From McLean Bible’s New City Network? The Wondering Eagle Asks Why? Plus how Spiritual Abuse from Redeemer Affected My Mother and Popped up in Her Hospital Room When She was Ill.“
- “What Jordan Kauflin and Redeemer Arlington Can Learn from a Washington Post Article on Apologizing.”
- “From Mark Driscoll’s Mars Hill, to C.J. Mahaney’s Sovereign Grace to Jordan Kauflin’s Redeemer Arlington and an Air Force Captain I Knew, A Question that Must be Posed. Are Neo-Calvinists Modern Day Jonah’s in that All They Do is Flee?“
- “The Elephant’s Debt, SGM Survivors and Others. How Should Such Blogs be Viewed?“
- “Unless You Experience Spiritual Abuse Then You Won’t Understand How Painful it is.“
- “Why Wade Mullen Found Peace and Why I Never Will.”
- “How My Spiritual Abuse Situation From Redeemer Church of Arlington Illustrates the Systemic Flaws of 9 Marks.”
Its Foolish to Talk About How Solid You Are With Unresolved Abuse
It amazes me that I see Tweets like that from Carolyn McCully. Either she exhibits full cognitive dissonance or she doesn’t know her Bible. Or maybe it could be both. Matthew 5:23-25 deals with those who have conflict or issues with people. The abuse was not resolved and it was let go. I was guided by an attorney who told me what to accept and this didn’t come close to a resolution. So for Carolyn and Redeemer to be talking about all that they have done when this mess is unresolved speaks volumes. While I acknowledge the issue of racism (check the articles that have been written) has Redeemer ever fasted or sought to seriously resolve the conflict from them that knocked on the door of my family? No…I had hopes earlier on, but Jordan Kauflin really dropped the ball when he let Andrew White go. Faith is not about having the right beliefs, its about having the proper actions to back them up. Jordan Kauflin didn’t understand that when he was at Redeemer. Neither did Eric Simmons and Carolyn McCully doesn’t understand that at all. So Carolyn’s tweet in the end is foolish.