Jordan Kauflin has left Redeemer Arlington in late March to move down to Atlanta, Georgia. He is going to be leading worship at Jason Dees Christ Covenant Church. Christ Covenant is a church affiliated with The Gospel Coalition and 9 Marks.
“The clergy are, practically, the most irresponsible of all talkers.”
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14 NIV
Jordan Kauflin at an Acts 29 in Washington, D.C.
Jordan Kauflin performing his music
There is news involving Jordan Kauflin who was a staff pastor at Redeemer Arlington. Jordan has a long history at Redeemer and has been involved since its founding in 2010. If you want to read the history of Redeemer Arlington you can do so in, “The History of Eric Simmons’ Redeemer Arlington: Formerly of Sovereign Grace Ministries now of Acts 29.” Jordan Kauflin discipled and mentored an Air Force officer at Redeemer Arlington and his wife Jillian. That Air Force office who was a Care Group leader triggered a false accusation with an outsider which sent me into the darkest season of my life. It also taught me why rape and sexual assault is a problem in the military. The situation was unresolved and Jordan Kauflin let Andrew White (pseudonym) go while the abuse dragged on. The abuse popped up in my Mom’s hospital room before her death.
Christ Covenant Church in Atlanta, Georgia
Christ Covenant Church began when elder David Deeter met Jason Dees at a Passion Conference in Atlanta a number of years ago. The Southern Baptist NAMB did some research and thought a church plant could be done. Jason Dees has been the senior pastor at Christ Covenant since September 2016. Jason who attended Auburn University is from Alabama. He also attended Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and earned a Masters and Doctor of Philosophy. Jason is active on social media and writes a blog called Think Through It. He is a writer both at For the Church and 9 Marks. Christ Covenant is a part of the 9 Marks movement and also The Gospel Coalition. This is a small Neo-Calvinist church where John Piper is the 67th book of the Bible.
Jordan Kauflin’s Move to Christ Covenant Church
Jordan Kauflin’s move came in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic. On Facebook Jordan Kauflin regretted not being able to say goodbye. This is how Jordan Kauflin described if on March 27, 2020. “KAUFLIN FAMILY UPDATE: Thank you for the many people who have prayed for and supported us during Jack’s treatment and this pandemic. Your prayers and support for our family mean so much! In the midst of the craziness of this season, we also want to officially announce that next week, our family will be moving to Atlanta, GA where I’ve accepted a role there as a worship pastor. The church we are joining is young but rapidly growing and we are excited to join in their mission to make disciples in that area. We are grateful for this new chapter for our family and in ministry! Sadly, the time of this transition means that we won’t be able to physically say goodbye to many who we know and love in DC. Our hope is that once we get settled, we will make a return visit! Please pray for a smooth transition and continued health for our family, particularly for Jack. Thank you!” At Christ Covenant Jordan Kauflin is becoming the worship director. On April 1, 2020 at the Facebook page for Christ Covenant They announced Jordan Kauflin coming on staff. You can see a screenshot below.
Questions and Concerns with this Development
When I realized what happened I came to the conclusion that there were a number of things to consider. These are some of the topics that I plan to pursue in additional blog posts at The Wondering Eagle.
- This move shows the flaws in the 9 Marks system. Systemic abuse or the enabling of abuse can be overlooked as long as you have the right theology.
- Does Christ Covenant Church know about what happened at Redeemer Arlington and Jordan’s role in the mess?
- Why does Jordan Kauflin feel like he can run and avoid this situation? Is running and avoiding responsibility any different than what Mark Driscoll and C.J. Mahaney did? How can someone with this kind of mess on his hands effectively lead worship, prayer or preach?
- From the perspective of Christ Covenant David Deeter’s comments about following the Lord in that YouTube video look like a large amount of BS in light of of this mess. In this situation Christ Covenant is enabling abuse.
- Does Jason Dees know the story of my false accusation from a person at Redeemer Arlington under Jordan Kauflin’s discipleship? Does Jason Dees know how I learned why rape and sexual assault is a problem in the military through a serious false accusation?
There is a lot more to do, but I wanted to report on this development as I write about Redeemer Arlington. It also looks like I will have to start writing about Jason Dees Christ Covenant Church as well.