This is an open letter to the leadership of Willow Creek Community Church and the Global Leadership Network Board. This is an open letter form Benjamin Ady on what Willow and the Global Leadership Network can learn from a report about sexual abuse inside L’Arche.
“I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma.”
The tongue of the wise commends knowledge,
but the mouths of fools pour out folly.
Proverbs 15:22 ESV
This is an open letter to the Willow Creek Community Church leadership and also the the Global Leadership Network Board. This deals with the breaking scandal with L’Arche International.
Dear Willow Creek Community Church Elders and Global Leadership Network Board,
I wanted to draw your attention to the report that was released by L’Arche International today regarding their investigation into co-founders Jean Varnier and Thomas Philippe–a report 11 pages long which I’d beg you to read in its entirety, then re-read in its entirely, then read a third time in its entirety https://www.larche.org/documents/10181/2539004/Inquiry-Summary_Report-Final-2020_02_22-EN.pdf/6f25e92c-35fe-44e8-a80b-dd79ede4746b
- L’Arche heard a second allegation of abuse about Jean Varnier in March 2019. In April 2019, they hired actual long-time experts in the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse GCPS consulting. Today, 10 months later, they released their report.
- They name what Varnier did “sexual assault” and “sexual abuse”
- They outline in clear, easy to understand terms why his sexual activities with adult, non-disabled women were non-consensual.
- They outline in clear, easy to understand language the long term suffering this caused for the women who were harmed.
- They outline the systemic nature of the abuses, perpetrated by these 2 very powerful men, co-founders, Jean Varnier and Thomas Philippe (very like Hybels and Bilezikian)
In a word, they told the whole truth, simply and clearly. There is zero protection happening here for Varnier and Philippe.
I hope you will look long and hard at this example.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia