John Secrest’s Compass Church Naples joins the Great Commission Collective. This blog would like to know why? After all the problems with the GCC, Garrett Higbee and after all the abuse from James MacDonald, why join the GCC? Wouldn’t that be like a dog returning to its vomit?
“The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.”
“You will only fail to learn if you do not learn from failing.”
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning.
John 1:1-2 NIV
John Secrest and his family.
This blog learned something a few weeks ago and I have been meaning to turn this into a post. It deals with Compass Naples, a church that is led by John Secrest and a part of the Evangelical Free Church of America in Florida.
Why and When Did John Secrest’s Compass Naples Joined the Great Commission Collective?
This blog has written quite a bit about John Secrest, Harvest Bible Chapel Naples and subsequently Compass Church in Naples. These are all the posts that have been written over the last year.
- “An Open Letter to Harvest Naples Senior Pastor John Secrest (Its Time to go Back to the EFCA).“
- “A Second Open Letter to John Secrest of Harvest Bible Chapel Naples.“
- “James MacDonald is Taking a Sabbatical. Translation – He is Getting Ready to Engage in Long Term Spiritual Abuse in Naples, Florida, and John Secrest will be his First Target.“
- “The Tragic Story Involving John Secrest and the Coup that Occurred in Harvest Naples.“
- “A Third Open Letter to John Secrest (On Fighting for Your Congregation and the Courage You Displayed).“
- “Another Open Letter to EFCA SE District Superintendent Glen Schrieber (On Helping Former EFCA Pastor John Secrest in Naples, Florida).“
- “Julie Roys Through World Magazine Publishes About Harvest Naples and the Termination of John Secrest.“
- “Russell Taylor Comes to Harvest Bible Chapel Naples, Plus an EFCA Pastor Establishes a GoFundMe for John Secrest.”
- “John Secrest Launches Compass Bible Church in Naples, Florida. And a Unique Case of Evangelical Transparency.”
- “An Open Letter to Glen Schrieber (Regarding Compass Bible Church and John Secrest in the EFCA’s Southeast District)“
- “Roll to Disbelieve Writes About John Secrest and the Harvest Bible Chapel Scandal in Florida and Quotes The Wondering Eagle as Well.”
- “Why the EFCA Needs to Discuss Spiritual Abuse and How John Secrest Can Be the Point Person on this Topic.“
Compass Church has been around since March of 2019. John Secrest saw a lot of abuse from James MacDonald and Harvest Bible Chapel. He was fired as he went to bat for his congregation. Sometime in the last few months Compass Church joined the Great Commission Collective (GCC). You can see that on the GCC website and I have a screen shot up above.
For Me this is Troubling and Here is Why…
I went to Restore Chicago in early November and met a large number of people. I wrote about it and published pictures of it in the following two posts. “Review of Restore Chicago and How it Can Be Improved For Next Year” and “Pictures From Restore Chicago and RT Maldaner’s City of Joy Church.” When there I stopped to speak to John Secrest. I wanted to pick his brain on the EFCA and his district leadership, especially with some of the issues I am being approached about that are coming out of a number of churches in Florida. So I spoke with John for a few minutes and he seemed like a nice and sincere individual. This blog has recommended Compass in the past and has written strongly of his EFCA church.
A couple of weeks ago, after I came back to Washington, D.C. I had heard that Compass Church Naples joined the GCC. That has to be a mistake I remember thinking to myself when I first heard that news. It really didn’t make any sense. Why after all the abuse from James MacDonald, how the Harvest culture still exists in the GCC and the problems with Garrett Higbee and how the GCC can’t even address that; would Compass join the GCC? So I checked the Compass website and also the GCC and saw it posted there. I was baffled and troubled by seeing it listed. It really made no sense. Is John Secrest feeling okay? Or is this an identification of a church financially struggling and Compass trying to get support form other organizations. Or is John Secrest trying to be all things to multiple individuals? This blog would like to get more intel on this situation and if someone knows why Compass joined the GCC please contact me so that can be written about.