Churches inside the Great Commission Collective are changing their name from Harvest Bible Chapel to another name. In a brief time Jeff Hoenshell Harvest Bible Chapel Fairfax and Bryan White of Harvest Bible Chapel North Indy changed their name close to each other. Observing that is what led to this post. This is about how scandal destroys a brand name.
“There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law and in the name of justice.“
Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.
Psalm 62:1 NIV
Former Harvest Bible Chapel Fairfax
Harvest Church North Indy
Within a brief time of each other two key churches in the Great Commission Collective changed their name. Bryan White’s Harvest Bible Chapel North Indy in the Indianapolis area became Harvest Indy. This change officially happened on September 15, 2019. Harvest was working through a sermon series called Life in the Harvest. And in Fairfax, Virginia Harvest Bible Chapel Fairfax as led by Jeff Hoenshell has changed its name to Fairfax Bible Church. You can read more about the history of that church in, “Jeff Hoenshell’s Harvest Bible Chapel Fairfax Becomes Fairfax Bible Church.” As a part of the name change Fairfax Bible Church commenced a new series to explain its values. The name of the series is called, Pursuing the Mission. This is but one of many churches in the Great Commission Collective which have changed their name. The Harvest name became so toxic that many churches are actively dropping the name.
A Toxic Scandal in Chicago and Continuing Problems and a Poisoned Brand Name
The Harvest Bible Chapel scandal in Chicago was quite toxic. In it you had James MacDonald who sued a journalist, bloggers and their wives in an effort to intimidate them. You had the Paxton Singer situation where a youth pastor groomed minors for planned abuse through sexting. You had James MacDonald’s anger problems, firing employees and his rage toward staff. You had church giving campaigns like 5G and members would give and give while James MacDonald would buy larger mansions and go on safari’s in Africa. Then you had James MacDonald who allegedly on a live microphone speak about how he wanted to plant child pornography on the CEO’s computer for Christianity Today. That finally got him fired by the elder board. You can read more about that in, “Mancow Muller Produces an Audiotape of James MacDonald Allegedly Wanting to Plant Child Pornography on a “Critic’s” Computer. Harvest Bible Chapel Elder Board Promptly Fires Him.” Needless to say the Harvest Bible Chapel brand name took a hit and is now associated with scandal, corruption and other issues. The name is stained and not redeemable. While this would be problematic for Harvest Bible Chapel it would would be an issue for churches in the Great Commission Collective who had the Harvest Bible Chapel church name.
An Overview of the Great Commission Collective Churches Which Dropped the Harvest Bible Chapel Name
In a period of a few months a number of churches inside the Great Commission Collective changed their name. Many were named Harvest Bible Chapel. Today the Great Commission Collective has 59 churches in it. A total of 37 churches would change their name or drop the references to Harvest Bible Chapel. For example a former Harvest Bible Chapel church would become a Harvest church. These are many of the churches who have changed their name over the last few months. A couple of these might have had an original name earlier on. I will let readers correct me on these names.
- Arizona: Flagstaff Bible Chapel, and Hope Bible Church Scottsdale.
- California: Anchored Bible Church in Modesto, Harvest Fresno, Doxa Church Sacramento, and Salt and Light South Bay.
- Florida: The Grove Bible Chapel in Tampa, The Grove Bible Chapel in Orlando, Compass Church Naples, and Harvest Jacksonville.
- Illinois: Chicago West Bible Church, Bethany Road Bible Church, Summit Point Church, Rock Island Bible Church, and Mosaic Community Chapel Joliet, and Harvest Decateur.
- Indiana: Bloomington Bible Church, Redemption Bible Church Fort Wayne, Gospel City Church Granger, Gospel City Church Elkhart, and Hope Church Anderson.
- Iowa: Coram Deo Bible Church in Davenport.
- Michigan: Harvest Spring Lake, Harvest Fremont, Harvest Lakeshore, and Christ Church North Muskegon.
- Washington: Redemption Hill Bible Church Seattle.
- Virginia: Fairfax Bible Church.
- Texas: Crossway Bible Church San Antonio, Radiant Bible Church Austin, and Redemption Hill Church New Braunfels.
- Pennsylvania: Mission Church Lancaster, Reclamation Church Monroeville, Oak Hill Fellowship Quarryville, Christ Centered Church of West Philadelphia.
- North Carolina: Harvest Raleigh and Bridge Fellowship Raleigh.