The New York Times conducted an investigation into images of child sex abuse that have grown on the internet. This is a shocking and troubling article to read but its one that must be read.
“Crime is to man as fleas are to dog, the likelihood of its presence increases as the quality of one’s personal circumstances decreases.”
“There are crimes that, like frost on flowers, in one single night destroy character and reputation.”
Henry Ward Beecher
Pennsylvania Avenue as taken from the Newseum
Due to the drama back here in Washington, D.C. that escalated this past week I started a digital subscription to the New York Times. I read the Washington Post and the Los Angeles Times daily. I don’t need another newspaper but the firewalls were frustrating. So this may be an issue for some people especially as I link articles for the New York Times.
The Growth of Online Images of Child Sex Abuse – A New York Times Investigation
This afternoon I read something that I was not prepared to read. It shocked me deeply and I wanted to put together a brief post with the goal of encouraging people to read the articles. The New York Times did an investigation into the growth of images of child sex abuse. These were some of what I learned today.
- Many tech companies have looked the other way on this problem. Some like Tumblr notify a suspect that they are being investigated and that allows them to destroy evidence.
- The United States government is overwhelmed and has not dedicated adequate resources to this problem.
- States and local agencies are also overwhelmed in dealing with this topic.
- Predators are pushing cutting edge technology that the government can’t keep up with. In the process they are teaching others how to avoid detection.
- The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is overwhelmed and lacks current technology to get the job done.
- In the state of New Jersey which has a population of 9 million, 400,00 technically could be arrested for being involved in images of child like nature. Can you imagine what the numbers would be for a state like Illinois, California or Texas?
- There is new research on the issue of pedophilia that raises some new questions about how people act towards children.
This is a dark but necessary series of articles to read. You can read them in, “The Internet Is Overrun With Images of Child Sexual Abuse. What Went Wrong?” , “An Explosion in Online Child Sex Abuse: What You Need to Know” and “Preying on Children: The Emerging Psychology of Pedophiles.”