Dave Harvey is the President of the Great Commission Collective. There are a great number of questions that this blog has for him. This post is a list of those questions that hopefully start to ask questions about the Great Commission Collective and its health.
“The best scientists and explorers have the attributes of kids! They ask question and have a sense of wonder. They have curiosity. ‘Who, what, where, why, when, and how!’ They never stop asking questions, and I never stop asking questions, just like a five year old.“
“Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.”
Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.
John 14:23 NIV
This blog would like to ask a number of questions to Dave Harvey who is the President of the Great Commission Collective. Previously Dave Harvey came from the Sojourn Network which is based out of Louisville, Kentucky. Dave mentored Daniel Montgomery of Sojourn who brought him on the Network. If you want to read more about Daniel Montgomery you can do so in, “Why Daniel Montgomery Left the Sojourn Network in Louisville, Kentucky and the How the Shadow of Mark Driscoll Hangs Over Neo-Calvinism.” Below are a number of questions and observations about the Great Commission Collective (GCC) culture, leadership and misconduct. This blog believes there is some dark stuff that will come out of GCC and that is due to the culture of Harvest Bible Chapel/Fellowship.
- While a GCC church does not mean that the GCC has any “ecclesiastical authority” over the church. Each church reserve and retains the notion that it is locally governed, autonomous congregation that is in a relationship with the GCC for certain programmatic purposes. Yet within that relationship the network has some limited, if any, influence or power over the individual churches. The question is, in what way can or does the GCC express that authority?
- Let’s consider this line of thinking. If a church or better its leaders are found to have themselves in a sinful, abusive, unbiblical, ungodly behavior; whether in treatment of some of its members or even toward its follow leaders, or even if you discover that GCC leaders have done some kind of of unkind, harsh, hurtful behavior; would there be any steps of discipline, confrontation, possible censure or accountability taken by the GCC leaders? What is your process? What is your commitment to that kind of correction or confrontation if needed?
- Have there been any of those types of incidents (not necessary to give actual names or situations) since GCC has founded? Have there been any incidents that have happened in the recent past(prior to GCC starting, as HBF churches) and there needs to be an accounting for those actions? Much like the idea of being “above reproach” – if GCC found out about past behaviors by a church or its leaders would they address those past encounters and ask (or better insist) that it be dealt with?
- What would be your process for handling it? Is it a board matter? A staff, specifically the President or pastoral care director matter? Who has authority to address matters? Who would you talk with? How extensive would your discussions go? Would you “take people’s word” or actually speak with all parties involved? Do you think that is important?
- What if a proper response is not provided from the church/leader being addressed, an excuse given, ignoring of the admonishment or admission occurs and no change, apology or repentant action followed; is that acceptable and what would you do? Could any church ever be removed from GCC for that kind of behavior or refusal to act?
- What if it this violation occurred in a GCC Board members’ church or by a GCC staff member? How quickly and definitive would your leadership be demonstrated in this matter? Immediately, made a priority, deal with it when you have you time, or would it drag out for months?
- GCC is a “self-governing” agency and network, how do you govern ungodly behavior inside the organization or will you just look the other way? What do you think self-governing means? What are “conflict of interests” in this regard and how do you plan to avoid it?