Over the past few years the Church of God in Anderson, Indiana has written a number of puff pieces about Rod Stafford’s Fairfax Community Church in the Washington, D.C. area. Several articles are pure fluff and come from Carl Stagner who does writing and editing for the Church of God denomination. This post is designed to challenge Carl to actually do some legitimate journalism. After all when you have a church doing questionable financial campaigns, employs a violent sex offender and mislead the congregation there are more important articles to write about.
“There are three things in the world that deserve no mercy, hypocrisy, fraud, and tyranny.”
Frederick William Robertson
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
George Orwell in 1984
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Colossians 3:12 NIV
Sign for Fairfax Community Church
The other day I noticed something when I was researching Fairfax Community Church here in the Washington, D.C. area. It was actually in the quality of the articles that come from the Church of God in Anderson, Indiana. They all appeared to have originated from Carl Stagner and deal with Rod Stafford’s church.
Who is Carl Stagner? And What are the Puff Pieces he Wrote About Rod Stafford’s Fairfax Community Church?
Carl Stagner does writing and editing for Church of God Ministries, which he has been doing for over four years now. Previously he was a Communication Services Assistant for the Church of God Ministries. According to his LinkedIn he previously wrote feature articles for print and internet media. He also helped manage social media as well. Today he serves as the Pastor of Worship Arts at the Main Street Church of God in Anderson, Indiana. Then he worked for Central Phoenix Church of God in Arizona. According to my research Carl comes from the Phoenix area. He attended Anderson University from 2005 until 2009 where he earned his degree.
Carl Stagner over the last few years has written a number of puff pieces about Rod Stafford’s Fairfax Community Church. These are some samples:
- How Rod Stafford was mentored by Gil Stafford in, “Fairfax Host Pastor Furthers Family’s Influential Legacy.”
- The Church of God regional meeting which took place in part at Fairfax Community Church in 2008. You can read more in, “Fairfax, Safety Harbor Regionals Last but Not Least!”
- Church of God gathers at Fairfax for a meeting that focuses on unity, worship of Jesus and more. You can read about this in, “CHOG Gathers Near D.C. for Two Days of Life-Giving Teaching, Worship.”
- How Fairfax Community under Rod Stafford will not be affected by a Church of God meeting and will continue to serve the Lord and the area that it rests (Wow..that is news for me!) You can read more in, “D.C.-Area Church to Host Fourth Regional Amid Incredible International Impact“
- How Fairfax adopted a Syrians refugee family. You can read more in, “Fairfax Church Adopts Syrian Refugee Family“
What is a Puff Piece?
So before we continue we need to ask what is a puff piece? A puff piece is a soft, light article that is nothing but fluff. Dictionary.com defines a puff piece as, “a newspaper article, book, public relations film, etc.. that is designed to praise or flatter. A puff piece is designed to portray an organization, school, church, etc… in a very positive light. Many churches and denominations have blogs that contain a lot of puff pieces that are designed to market an organization and protect the brand. Many businesses use puff pieces, so that should speak volumes when the Church of God in Anderson, Indiana acts in such a way.
Puff Pieces Explain Why Blogs Like The Wondering Eagle are a Necessity in Modern Evangelism
Let’s be honest, the puff pieces that Carl Stagner writes are nothing more than propaganda for the Church of God in Anderson, Indiana movement. Carl won’t write about how a congregation has a problem with managing a sex offender that the church has been dishonest about. If there are problems with sex abuse in a Church of God in Indiana, Minnesota or Texas you’ll never know in all likelihood. Carl is about protecting the brand and ignoring the issues at hand. And since Carl will be unable to write a solid, hard hitting and honest article that is why blogs like The Wondering Eagle exist. I have to step into the void and educate and make people aware of the problems and issues at Fairfax Community Church. If I don’t do some of this, then honestly who will? Carl Stagner? Or Rod Stafford or Kathleen Otchy? But if Carl wants to write about some issues at Rod Stafford’s Fairfax Community Church let me give him a slew of ideas to work on.
Some Ideas for Carl Stagner to Write About When it Comes to Fairfax Community
If Carl Stagner needs some ideas of articles to write, may this blog give him a number of ideas to write about. So let’s look at some topics that can be explored and written about in regards to Fairfax Community Church and Rod Stafford.
- Ringling Brothers Circus has closed, which I think is a tragedy for American culture. However there is another circus that one can attend if they want to see some fluff and entertainment. That circus is Rod Stafford’s Fairfax Community Church. How bad can it get? Well when there was a mass shooting at the Washington, D.C. Navy Yard in 2013 Fairfax Community Church largely continued as if nothing had happened. Yes in the D.C. community that it claims to serve the weekend after 13 people were shot to death Fairfax was damned and determined that the circus must continue. Jay Kim had to rock on stage, and act like he is 17 and the laser show had to continue. But pray for those who are grieving, and be concerned for a traumatic and disturbing event in the community…why bother? You can read more about this and how Fairfax Community Church failed the Washington, D.C area and to minister to it after a tragic mass shooting in, “A Tale of Two Churches: Fairfax Community Church and the Problem of Evil.”
- Another issue is the issue of questionable financial campaigns to grow a church which neglects many people in its community. Plus is it right for Rod Stafford and the leadership to use a younger person to make an emotional plea for money? Especially when they are starting out and in all likelihood are getting money or assistance occasional from their parents or loved ones. This issue came out in Fairfax Community Church’s “A Better Story” campaign. This situation reveals why evangelical Christians struggle with ethics and financial honesty. You can read more in, “Fairfax Community Church and the Evangelical Idol of “Church Growth” After I wrote about some of this Rod Stafford and Fairfax Community scrubbed the information, webpages and videos from their church webpage. Rod Stafford and this corrupt church did what the Soviet Union did in erasing information, or as George Orwell wrote in 1984 about the Party Ministry of Truth and creating a memory hole. However, through the internet archive you can see some of the removed information here, here, and here.
- Then there is the situation with Eric Nickle. Fairfax Community Church under Rod Stafford’s leadership employed a violent sex offender who is on the Virginia Sex Offender Registry, and then mislead the church. Fairfax Community Church did not inform, notify or let people know that they employed a violent sex offender. Despite Eric Nickle’s history of child abuse he actually had access to children’s classroom. How do I know? I was in the Men’s Program that Eric Nickle led. Later on I learned the story and put two and two together. I was deeply troubled by the blatant dishonesty by the leadership of Fairfax Community Church. You can read more about Eric Nickle in, “Why Does Fairfax Community Church have a Care Director on the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Sex Offender Registry?”
- There is another story that came about from a former member of Fairfax Community Church. This person revealed to me that the Stafford’s use the Stafford Bed and Breakfast to reward those who give financially in large amounts and in the process neglect the least of these. This individual shared with me how she was going through a dark time in her life and was suicidal but Fairfax Community Church ignored her request for help. The lesson in all this is that Fairfax Community Church exists to better the Stafford family and they use it for personal financial gain. You can read more in, ““They Don’t Care About You!” A Woman Dealing with Suicidal Thoughts and in a Crisis Allegedly Couldn’t Get Help by Fairfax Community Church.”
- There is also the business model that Fairfax Community Church follows. Fairfax is not a church but it exists to make money. This is why many people fall through the cracks and many walk away dispirited or neglected. People are not precious to Rod Stafford, instead he views them as his own personal ATM. They are nothing but a means to take money from. Fairfax Community Church has convinced me that 501(C)(3) needs to end in the United States. It empowers the corrupt. You can read more about the business model of Fairfax Community Church in, “Fairfax Community Church in the Washington, D.C. Area Follows a Business Model, The Transition of Andy Gingrich Confirms It, Plus a Question to Andy About Eric Nickle.”
So those ideas will give Carl Stagner some ideas of what he can do it he wants to actually do some journalism. Otherwise he can continue to pucker up and do some serious brown nosing to Rod Stafford. Its your choice Carl. Fairfax Community Church doesn’t serve the Washington, D.C. area. Instead its more of a cyst out here. When I think of the conversations I have had with people and I occasionally drive by part of me feels deeply sick. So in the Church of God in Anderson Indiana Fairfax is the golden boy and one of the larger churches in the denomination.